The Steering committee was formed in October 2009 after a number of meetings at the Mount Gravatt Community Centre and input from a number of local church groups and service clubs. These include:
- Councillor Krista Adams, Wishart Ward, Brisbane City Council
- St Bartholomew's Anglican Church, Mount Gravatt
- Mount Gravatt Rotary Club
- Mansfield Rotary Club
- Southside Sport and Community Club Inc
- St Bernard's Catholic Church, Upper Mount Gravatt
- Broadwater Road Uniting Church, Wishart
- Baptist Church Upper Mount Gravatt
- Wishart Christian Retirement Village
- Anglicare Anglican Church Caring
Each of these organisations has seen the need and have indicated their willingness to assist either financially or in kind to establish a Men's Shed in the Mount Gravatt area. It has become increasingly evident over recent years that there is a need for a range of activities and services that support men particularly those in the 50-75 age range. Mount Gravatt Men's Shed Inc. (MGMS) is a "not for profit" community association which is incorportated and has an ABN and a tax file number.
Donations to the Shed are tax deductable
Number of financial members on 13 May 2015 was 253.
Members meet in the Community Hall of the Showgrounds on the first Monday in the month for a social program that includes lunch followed by a guest speaker. A Sausage Zizzle is held in the Shed on the third Monday of the month and includes an interactive guest presentation.
Nine sub-committees have been formed in various areas of responsibility.
Shed men are involved in community projects.